First, and most importantly, take a moment to celebrate the progress you’ve made so on taking charge of your health! You’ve tossed away old habits and are now ready to adopt the refreshed and nourished lifestyle you deserve. Great job, fellow cleanser!!
After a juice cleanse, it’s important to keep in mind that you’ve given your digestive system a long break, so make sure to ease back into solid foods.
Here are my top 5 nutrition tips to help you transition to food after a juice cleanse:
- Stay hydrated – Our nourishing cold-pressed juices helped to kickstart your hydration, now it’s up to you to continue. Generally, it is recommended for men to aim for at least 3L/day, and for women to aim for at least 2.2L/day . Hydration can include anything from hot water to sparkling cold water, as long as it is non-caffeinated. Our NPJ Nourish cold-pressed juices are great to help you stay hydrated daily, they’re packed with good nutrition and hydrating foods.
- AVOID processed foods, alcohol, greasy foods, and added sugars. If it’s a matter of will power for you, think: “out of sight, out of mind”. While these foods may eventually make its way back into your diet, establishing good balance is key. Follow the 80/20 rule, as long as 80% of your diet is healthy nourishing foods, you can allow yourself to indulge for 20% of your diet.
- Liquids, then solids – Starting with liquid nutrition helps your digestive system gradually transition back into breaking down foods that are rich in protein, fats, and fibre. Smoothies and soups are great examples. Try blending up a fruit and vegetable smoothie with some almond milk. Lentil soups, roasted cauliflower soups, and tomato soups are great for the Winter. And in the Summer, try a cool cucumber soup or gazpacho.
- Plenty of vegetables and fruits – Ensure that you have a variety of raw fruits and vegetables at every meal; ideally, aim for half your meal to consist of fruits and/or vegetables.
- Plant-based proteins – Meat is harder on the digestive system to break down, so try to start off with plant-based proteins like nuts, seeds, nut butters, tofu, tempeh, edamame beans, roasted chickpeas, lentils, and legumes.
Hope you enjoyed your juice cleanse, and most importantly, the new you!
- Jessica, RD